Sunday, December 30, 2007

OK, I disagree.

With VH1's Top 100 Greatest Teens. Because Debbie/Deborah Gibson is at #20. Wrong, I say. So very wrong. "Electric Youth" personified my early days. Seriously. I wore a Debbie felt hat (and a satin vest) to Janet Jackson's Rhythm Nation concert at Freedom Hall. How cute was I?

The rest of the list:

19. Scott Baio/Happy Days: I? Was too young. I hear he's single and has a reality show now.
18. Sarah Michelle Gellar / Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Seriously? Two "Scooby Doo" movies really, really cancel out, like 157 Buffy eps.
17. Donny Osmond: Didn't he have a sister on "Dancing with the Stars?"
16. Kirk Cameron/Growing Pains: OK, dude has, like 6 kids. So he's right up there with that Pentecostal family with, like 18 kids. Just you wait, Kirk...
15. Brooke Shields: Oh, I heart her. Anyone who's had PPD wants to shove something sharp up Tom Cruise's ass. Oh, wait. Katie already did...
14. Michael J. Fox/Family Ties: Ohhh, sure. "Family Ties" was cute. But "The Frighteners?" Freakin' awesome. And, he has four kids with his "Family Ties" co-star. Such a freakin' rock star.
13. Alicia Silverstone/Clueless: "Clueless" was a pivotal movie for me, and "cakeboy" is still one of my favorite gay descripts. I still watch it every time it is on.
12. N'Sync: OK, in 1998, I had 24 credit hours in my last senior semester, plus I was a serious sorority girl. I? Couldn't care less about these fuckers.
11. Matt Dillon: Who? Didn't his BFF date JLo, or something?
10. River Phoenix: Hippie who died young. Was in "Stand By Me"? Johnny Depp was a friend, or something?
8. Corey Haim: He'd be my #1. Anyone who knows me, knows I had ONE WHOLE WALL devoted to the Haim. I LOVED his reality show, even if his girlfriend was a buck-toothed, knocked-kneed beeyotch.
7. Winona Ryder / Heathers : Loved her. Loved this movie to Death. Do not love the department-store thievery. How's the career now, klepto? "Lick it up, baby. Lick. It. Up."
6. David Cassidy/Partridge Family: Too young. Don't know him. Rode a bus or something?
5. Shannen Doherty/Beverly Hills, 90210: My only thought about her is she started smoking to lose weight, which I read in a magazine. And it gave her that sexy voice. Also, that she's a she-devil who would kick your ass as soon as look at you.
4. Anthony Michael Hall/Sixteen Candles: Cute. Brian Ralph Johnson would've been all I could get circa 1990. Hottie that I was back then. -- Yeah, I know "The Breakfast Club" was before my time.
3. Britney Spears. Oh. Hell. No. I have to VH1 some credit -- they produced this show in 2006. Before the whole head-shaving, child-abusing, Starbucks loving, crazy-assed phase. And we all know how that turned out.
2. Rob Lowe. Meh. I had a thing for his little bro, Chad Lowe, circa "Life Goes On."
1. Molly Ringwald / Sixteen Candles. Totally agree. I was about 5 years too young, but I still think of her when I think of pink.

2 comments:

Ryan The Intern said...

Between you, me and the Internet, I have an enemy that friends and I have dubbed "Cakeboy." So the fact that you still use that word is hilarious.

Unknown said...

Agree with you on Deborah. You can now say you're two degrees from her. She and younger sister were good friends and I went all through high school with her sisters Karen and Michele. Deborah was a very sweet kid. It was cool to see all of her hard work pay off!

(First day of kindergarten, Giggles came home from school all excited to tell us that a classmate had written a SONG about going to school!"