Thursday, July 26, 2007

WWDD?

So I'm sitting here, and I have a sudden thought.

"What's Debbie Gibson up to these days?"



Doesn't she look GREAT?! My favorite former pop star has her own Web site (www.deborah-gibson.com) now, and she actually HAS NEWS! Posted! On it! And it's current!

Seems Debbie –– now called "Deborah" in an attempt I suppose to age her Electric Youth –– was featured in a recent issue of OK! Magazine. Um, I'm a subscriber, and I must've missed it. There's also a "garage sale" section on her site where you can buy velvet jackets! From her tour! Such as this green Karl Lagerfeld jacket worn by Deborah in the "Shock Your Mama" video!



(Yeah, I don't remember that song either.)

She's also appearing at "Changed for Good," a musical tribute to Mr. Stephen Schwartz next week in Hollywood. (He's the musician and lyricist who wrote, among other shows, Wicked. Which we all know is BooBerry's current obsession.) I would totally kill to see that show, as it not not only features Ms. Gibson, but also: Wilson Cruz, Eden Espinosa, Megan Hilty, Mark Indelicato, Jai Rodriguez, Erika Amato, the Greater Los Angeles Cathedral Choir, Meloney Collins, Kim Huber, Kevin Earley, Danny Calvert, Misty Cotton, Brooke Wilkes & Ryan Black, Bruce Vilanch, Ava Gaudet Levi Kreis, William Katt, Jeffrey Landman and Chad Doreck. With Musical Direction by Brent Crayon.

Of those, I only recognize Debbie –– I mean, Deborah –– and Jai Rodriguez, he of "Queer Eye for the Straight Guy" fame. I'm assuming the rest are Broadway stars. (Noticeably absent is my hero, Idina Menzel, who originated the role of Elphaba in "Wicked.")




Oh, and Uran Outfitters sells bitchin' Debbie, er, Deborah, merchandise. She posted that on her Web site. So she's either flattered, or taking the high road.



Personally, I think it's the latter, as this t-shirt is already on sale. So from now on, I'll follow her lead, and ask myself "What Would Debbie Do?" when faced with obstacles.



Edited to Add: Here's some Debbie trivia. On her IMDB.com page, it has a uncredited listing for the 1984 blockbuster, "Ghostbusters" as the "Birthday Girl in Tavern on the Green." Who knew?

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

Mandy,
Ever since I met her at age 5, she's been known as Deborah. She and my sister were kindergarten classmates at Camp Ave. Elementary. I own a copy of her first record, Sacred Heart Church's Folk Group's "Be Not Afraid"

Deborah was (and from what I hear still is) an absolute sweetheart.

Gypsydoodlebug said...

Yeah? That is soooo cool!!

I saw her in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat a few years back! I have "Naked" on my iPod -- I think it's high time for a new album.