Sunday, December 16, 2007

Hey, Miss Manners!

What do you do when the carolers come a knockin'?

It's 6:10 p.m., and Boo's eating a turkey sandwich and pretzels (I am no Martha Stewart in the kitchen). Bill's heating up some dinosaur chicken nuggets and tater tots (so yum), and I'm covered in almond bark making my annual batches of Christmas candy (added sprinkles this year. So suck it Martha).




And there's a knock at the door.

I'm in a tank top (thanks, Clomid), so I dive for my hoodie. I hear music and go running after Bill, Boo and the dog, who's barking her head off. I see this:


'cept thet were dressed in Eddie Bauer down parkas and JC Penney scarves. They were singing "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen," then switched to "We Wish You a Merry Christmas". And there were, literally, 20 of them.

OK, so I'm not real sure what the caroler etiquette is. I'm fresh out of wassaile (who the hell has ever had wassail, anyway?), and I have no figgy pudding (also, WTF?).

We just clapped and said "yayyyyyy!" like we were watching a Christmas dance recital. And shut the door.

(Cute, but I'm still floored. I'm mean, WTF? What should we have done? I was waiting for them to hand us some church flyer, but they didn't...)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ummm.....Offer them hot chocolate??? I don't know what you would do in this situation.

Unknown said...

I don't know. I think thanking them is what they should expect. These days, it's a rare thing to have carolers come to your door, anyway.

Ryan The Intern said...

Yeah, next time tell them Wally and the Beav are the next house over.