Friday, November 30, 2007

Back...

... and still sick. Josh and I spend yesterday afternoon in New Orleans moseying around The French Quarter and gnoshing on




beignets and cafe au lait at Cafe Du Monde near Jackson Square (holy powdered sugar, Batman! These things had about three inches of the white goodness on top of them! I wanted to roll in it and lick myself clean).

We walked up to Bourbon Street, which at the tender time of 4 p.m. was D-E-A-D. Saw lots of shops hawking feather boas, beads ($10! WTF?!?), fuzzy hats and margaritas. OK, there's something disconcerting about buying your liquor from a wall of swirly slushy machines. (I'd probably get more alcohol from a pocket-sized bottle of mouthwash than I would from one of those.)

We stopped to have a drink at a little cafe (mostly, I just had to pee), and Josh ordered this green pineapple thing called a Green Gator while I choked down the spiciest Bloody Mary I'd ever had (I think my mouth is still a little numb).

We had dinner at GW Fins, and the highlights of the meal were my discover of vodka tonics and the most fabulous chocolate molten lava cake I've ever tasted (the highlight of the evening was Josh's declaration of, "I gotta go find my Momma so I can slap her!" after taking the first bite).

Then we went back to the hotel, because Josh is lame and wanted to watch some sort of game involving cowboys and green packing materials on some special football channel.

As soon as I can snake the photos from his iPhone, I'll post them. I have to admit, the French Quarter looked NOTHING like it does on the COPS Mardi Gras episodes (shut up. It's my only impression of New Orleans).

As for now, I'm off to take a nap (up at 5 a.m. for our 8 a.m. flight). I'm still sick as a dog and my voice is completely shot.



Oh, and I knocked National Blog Posting Month out of the water. w00t!

2 comments:

Suzanne said...

Ooooh, beignets!

I have the most awesomest recipe for Molten Chocolate Lava cakes. We'll make sure your mama isn't around to slap!

Gypsydoodlebug said...

hee!