Monday, November 5, 2007

CONFESSIONAL.


Koumpounophobia. It honest-to-God exists, and unfortunately I have it. Metal and plastic shirt ones are the worst. I'm vomiting a little in my mouth just looking at this picture.

I've had this irrational phobia since I was a kid. I remember my 5th birthday party at KinderCare not for the cake and festivities, but because my mother made me wear an Izod polo shirt. That had buttons. I've hated them for that long.

I can remember my grandmother holding me on her lap wearing a navy sleeveless button down shirt a la the '80s. She'd squeeze me to her and say, "Button juice! Button juice!" Nice way to traumatize a toddler, Grannie.

I didn't own a button-down shirt until high school (and even those were for work), and I still have a problem touching shirts with buttons. Jeans are OK, pants are tolerable. I can't touch Bill's shirts, but I can touch my own as well as BooBerry's.

So you people with normal phobias like claustrophobia and arachnophobia can eat it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For April Fools I wanted to dump a bucket of buttons on your desk and watch you vomit! However..I'd probably end up having to clean it up..so best not.

Gypsydoodlebug said...

Rotten.