Saturday, November 10, 2007

Quirky = charming, right?

Aside from my aversion to buttons, I also have an aversion to fruit-flavored pies, cakes and other desserts. I like fruit, don't get me wrong, I just don't think it needs to be mixed with food. Fruit is fruit. Pie is cream pie. Cake should not be fruit flavored. This picture makes me want to gag (although the ice cream, when scraped off, is salvageable.)

This sometimes presents a problem when dining at other people's houses. Take, for instance, the beautiful poached apple and walnut salad served a few weeks ago at Bill's aunt's house. The apples were spiced and lovely. They just shouldn't have been atop my greens. Honestly. It gave me the willies. ( I picked at it and slid it over to Bill not-so-covertly.)

This also holds true for pies –– the only fruit pie I can stomach is blueberry, and occasionally, strawberry rhubarb (although rhubarb is technically a vegetable, right?). Hence, I can usually turn down the office birthday dessert 'cause around these parts, we get to choose what we'd like to have. For me, that's a triple chocolate layer cake with chocolate icing (although red velvet is my favorite, it's not all that common at Sam's Club, where our office manager shops).

Just another of my hang-ups, I guess, since I most definitely do not consider appletinis or Jelly Belly jelly beans in my anti-fruit/food campaign.

And this?
This is just wrong on so many levels.

No comments: