Sunday, July 1, 2007

There are no words for what just happened...

...at Kroger this evening.

BooBerry and I stopped in for some tuna steaks, onion, buns, Smart Water (hi, Jennifer Aniston. I drink your water.) and green peppers. On our way out of the store, I'd promised BooBerry she could have a go at the fire engine and horsey rides as we left.

So as she's riding the fire engine, the electric doors slide open and this haggard ol' woman sticks her head in.

She sees me there, and says, "If I watch your little girl, will you run in and see if I left my checkbook at the counter?" (The counter was, of course, out of eyesight, I had a cartload of groceries and BooBerry was riding the horsey.)

Okaaaay. Puzzled, I shook my head no and asked, "Why can't you run in?"

She holds up ... a cigarette. (Meaning she can't enter the store.)

Okay. Here's problem #1) You want ME to leave MY child to the care of a complete stranger to go inside and #2) run an errand for you that CLEARLY you have two good legs that allow you to complete.

Which brings me to #3) PUT OUT THE EFFING CIGARETTE IF IT'S SO DAMNED IMPORTANT TO YOU! Apparently your nicotine fit was way more important than someone stealing your checkbook and spending assloads of YOUR money at Liquor Barn, Wal-Mart and God knows where else.

I said, "No I'm really not comfortable with that" and snatched a startled BooBerry off the horse and we sprinted to the car.

Even in the tobacco capital of the country, that really puts a whole new meaning to the phrase, "You need to get your priorities straight."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow! You need to find a new place to grocery shop!