Thursday, April 10, 2008

Breaking News!


Callie ran out of the front porch and around the side when I opened the door. I chased her down and scooped her up and came face to face with a mourning dove who has built a nest on my four-shelf stand. It has a two eggs.

Apparently, males and females look alike and BOTH incubate the eggs (why can't HUMAN MEN STEP UP, TOO?). Bill wanted to knock it out (cold and heartless, honey) but Bella starting sobbing and Bill said it could stay. (It's not like we're ever on that side of the porch, and you can clearly see I'm using the shelf well.)

Update coming when the eggs hatch.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

We used to have doves that would lay eggs every year on our porch at our old house. The girls named them Sally and Molly. And sure enough, every spring they would come back and lay their eggs in my flower basket.