Thursday, June 5, 2008

Recovering from Minneapolis in 10 Statements.

1) WTF was I thinking when I rented a convertible in f*cking Minneapolis? I did put the top down exactly twice -- after sitting in a Walgreens parking lot for 20 minutes trying to figure out how to work the damn hard top on the smokin' hot Sebring. The weather never broke 70, but that didn't stop me from going all Thelma & Louise on Mpls's ass.

2) Mall. of. America. Four hours, four floors, many dollars.
Here's the haul that I can remember off the top of my head, because ZOMG you would not believe the power shopping I did -- I was a shopping ninja (HIIIYAH, NORDSTROM!): a Betsy Johnson reversible tote; pair of Havaianas; black belted sweater; a Hanna Andersson outfit + an extra t-shirt for Boo; "My Kindergarten Year" book for Boo; Helping Hands lotion and assorted other bath products from the LUSH counter at Macy's; sugar scrub from Bath & Body Works; my dad's Father's Day gift; two Webkinz (shhh, don't tell Bill) ... My bag was stuffed to its max capacity.

3) Found sushi at the Mall of America. Was aiight for Minnesota raw fish that isn't a walleye.

Tiger Sushi from my phone's camera.

4) Spongebob is a hottie. The newly opened Nickelodeon Universe looks like SO much fun if you're a 12-year-old. Or Bill.



5) O'Hare SUCKS. Seriously bad. Our flight from ORD (O'Hare) to MSP was CANCELLED on the way up there... United stuck us on a flight that was actually EARLIER than our initial flight, but our luggage didn't make it. So they told us they'd send it to the hotel.

Fair enough. IF it mde it, right?

Not only did it make it, but the fine folks at the Sofitel had already delivered it to our rooms. Excellent.

O'Hare still sucks, though, and here's why: On our flight home, we were an hour late arriving into ORD. Our photographer and I RAN to the shuttle, RAN to the gate with 5 minutes to spare before boarding started.

And we stood there.

For an hour-and-a-f*cking-half. With only 12 seats in ONE gate to accommodate FOUR outbound flights. In a terminal that had absolutely no airconditioning. My sweat was sweating. It was crawling-through-the-desert-because-your-camel-died-from-the-heat hot.

We got home just an hour or so late -- I'm not really sure, I think I blacked out somewhere in there...

6) Why has no one told me out Super Target before? I walked through the doors and I swear I heard angels singing in the distance. The big ol' Awesomeness that is Super Target sells all kinds of upscale beauty products that I have to drive all over town for (such as Bumble & Bumble hair products and select Origins skincare stuff). And I bought Boots day cream and night cream in a super cheap set. You people with Super Targets better recognize what you got and own it.

7) Our GPS unit tried to take us from Blaine, MN to MOA over the 35W bridge, which collapsed last year. And apparently if you deviate from her directions, she will school you in humility, stopping just short of calling you a "non-driving muthafucka" (Bill's favorite insult hurled at poor, unsuspecting drivers). We took a detour through an unbelievably clean downtown Minneapolis and eventually she got us on our way.

8) Black socks with white tennis shoes. It's a don't, people. I'm going to print out business cards with that phrase on it and start handing them out at airports and malls.

9) While eating at La Fougasse, we were close enough to the kitchen to experience an executive chef barking out orders exactly like Chef Ramsay on Hell's Kitchen." I actually got little butterflies in my tummy hearing out "one scallop, one fillet medium rare, two potatoes, one asparagus!!!!" and then some semblance of "YES, CHEF!" from the cooks. So aspiring chefs, that shit? Is real.

10) I hurt. I have a blister on my toe, my back is killing and I can't get cooled down no matter how many showers I take. But the shopping? So. worth. it.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You didn't look like Thelma and Louise you looked like Michael Scott in the convertible Sebring.

Anonymous said...

Had never seen a SuperTarget until we went to Daytona a few years ago. And you are right; a choir did sing as the doors opened. HEART them.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and Mandy is SO the Pam of your office.