Tuesday, September 18, 2007

All's Fair ...

So, today I went to Toys R Us to buy Barbie as The Island Princess -- they had the movie and the doll:



for $22.98. Bonus.

So I go in, grab the movie, which was released today, and walk back to the pink-infused (yum) Barbie aisle. There's a woman there about my mom's age digging through the "Barbie as the Island Princess" dolls. She's holding an African-American (WTF?) Princess Rosella doll, and muttering about how she didn't think Princess Rosella was "that dark" in the movie (OK, an aside here, but the movie JUST CAME OUT today. I know for a fact she hasn't seen it unless she's been watching bootleg copies from Japan. And somehow I don't think this film is HOT HOT JAPAN HOT).

She and I got to talking about the movie as she stood there and debated over the African-American Barbie. Meanwhile, I'm diggin', and spot one Caucasian Princess Rosella. Three Barbies back. Right there on the shelf. And promptly shove it behind another toy as I'm discussing the merits of Disney's latest direct-to-video release. We lament over the lack of Princess Rosellas, and she sets off to find help.

Meanwhile, I shove aside Barbies like an ugly bridesmaid trying to catch the bouquet at a wedding and snatch up the one remaining doll. I'm hoping Grandma has checked out when I make it to the front. But no. She sees me. Clutching the only white Princess Rosella doll left in the store.

HER: You found one?
ME: Yeah -- I found it on an endcap. I think somebody decided not to get it. It was in the skateboards. (I lie.)
HER: Was there only one.?
ME: Yeah ...

(I walk off. I feel bad.)

(But not bad enough to give up the Barbie.)

OK, now I do feel slightly bad. I go back to the Barbie aisle, and spot a similar box at the very tip-top of the dislay. I jump jump jump to reach it. It is the Holy Grail. Unfortunately, the box looks like it has been chewed by a pit bull.

I grab it, determined to be the hero and to do my one good deed for the day (month) and run to the register. Grandma is pleased. And I even gave her the doll with the perfect box (because I am nice. What? I am.), since I knew it wouldn't last the night with BooBerry anyway.

When I go to pay for mine, the cashier thanked me. And told me the lady was "mad at me" because I found one and didn't give it to her.

Hey, GRANDMA! I WANT THAT DOLL BACK! Because you? Do not deserve it. There were TWO right in front of you and you didn't even see them.

All's fair in love and Barbies.

4 comments:

Ryan The Intern said...

It must be weird to be a girl.

Gypsydoodlebug said...

If you take out all the Barbie references and inser the word "Wii" or "iPhone" would it help?

Ryan The Intern said...

Wiis and iPhones are for company fanboys and dorky magazine art directors.

But put, I don't know, Guitar Hero 3 in there, and yes, I see your point.

By the way, "dorky" modifies "art director," not "magazine," of course.

Gypsydoodlebug said...

You got that right.