Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Books You Need to Read Because I Say So

I've been a voracious reader my whole life. It's like TV, only without commercials. I like my books smutty with a side of murder, smothered and covered in wit. That translates to what the industry calls "romantic suspense," and those of us who like it want both –– enough smut to offset the gore, and enough gore to make it more than a Harlequin novel. Which I don't exactly dislike.

As of late, though, I've discovered the particular brand of writing that has been deemed "chick lit." These books usually have som garish font on the cover, like an oversized pink curlycue or script adorning a pink background with a pair of lacy shoes, a fluffy dog on a leash led by some stick-figured unseen woman or a purse. Some of these are good, very good. And some are utter crap. Still, the way these chicks are cranking them out is impressive. And it gives me something to read while I'm waiting for another smut book to hit the market.

Here are a few of my favorite new books:

Bitter is the New Black by Jen Lancaster: My inspiration for starting to blog and perhaps the funniest woman I'll never meet. And technically this isn't chick lit, it's a biography of sorts, but I found myself reading it outloud to my husband while he played World of Warcraft with people he's never met online.

Size 12 is Not Fat by Meg Cabot: This is the beginning of a murder mystery series starring a former pop sensation-turned-residential assitant. Pretty cute stuff, and Cabot's writing is easy to digest. Size 14 Is Not Fat Either arrives soon and I can't wait.

Queen of Babble also by Meg Cabot: OK, so who can really afford to jaunt off to Europe for a month to chase a guy? But this story is still cute, and the ending was so sweet it made my teeth hurt.

Tabloid Love by Bridget Harrison: OK, this ALSO isn't a chick lit book, it's a memoir by an English chick that made me want a spot of tea. And a bite of Jack, her boss-cum-boyfriend. Harrison is a former New York Post reporter and columnist, and as a former newspaper writer, I can certainly understand the trials and tribs of a writer. And I think there's an inner Bridget in all of us.

1 comment:

Suzanne said...

I came here from your link on the DIS and girl, you're cracking me up! :)

More "Chick Lit" for you. Marian Keyes. Seriously, she's got humor and plot with a tiny helping of romance. Read "Lucy Sullivan is Getting Married" and you'll be hooked.

For the smutty side, Katie McAllister. I started with "Hard Day's Knight" and was pleasantly suprised to find a funny, witty AND smutty book. I thought they were mutally exclusive.